Monday, June 01, 2020
Travel the World On Virtual Tours: Updated With Gardens!
Museums, amusement parks, zoos, art galleries, and more! Do some virtual traveling from the comfort of your couch.
NEW THIS WEEK: TOUR THE WORLD'S LARGEST BULB-FLOWER GARDEN!
Amusement Parks & Zoos
Zoo’s Panda Cam
- Virtual Disneyland Rides
- Georgia Aquarium’s Beluga Whale Cam
- Houston Zoo -includes giraffes, gorillas, rhinos, and more.
- Monterey Aquarium -includes a coral reef, sharks, and penguins.
- San Diego Zoo -includes apes, elephants, koalas, and more.
- Brooklyn Botanic Garden (New York, New York) -This park, known for their cherry blossoms, has other notable areas including their japanese garden and desert pavilion, featuring cacti, wildflowers, and succulents.
- Cheekwood Estate & Garden (Nashville, Tennessee) -This estate includes a sculpture garden and botanical center. Other notable areas include their collections of dogwood trees, boxwood plants, and ornamental grasses.
- Keukenhof (Lisse, Netherlands) - Located in Holland, Keukenhof is the world’s largest bulb-flower garden and boasts more than 800 varieties of tulips. Seven million bulbs were planted for this year’s display.
- Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden (Richmond, Virginia) -This 50-acre park includes over a dozen gardens, including a rose garden, a native plant area, and a cherry tree walk.
- Longwood Gardens (Kennett Square, Pennsylvania) -This expansive 1,000 acre garden including forests, meadows, and greenhouses.
- Missouri Botanical Garden (St. Louis, Missouri) -This 80-acre park is home to a collection of rare orchids and features the Climatron, the first geodesic dome to be used as a conservatory, and a 14-acre japanese garden, one of the largest in North America.
- New York Botanical Garden (New York, New York) -This park includes fifty gardens containing more than one million plants. Notable areas include the garden’s cherry blossoms, magnolias, crabapples, daffodils, lilacs, tulips, and more.
- Portland Japanese Garden (Portland, Oregon) -This park’s eight gardens including a tea garden, sand and stone garden, pond garden, and more.
- The U.S. Botanical Garden (Washington, D.C.) -This
is the country's oldest garden, currently celebrating its 200th anniversary. Notable areas include the rose garden, the tropics house, and an outdoor
garden that honors the nation's first ladies.
Libraries Around the World
- Bibliotheca Alexandrina (Alexandria, Egypt)
- Bodleian Library (University of Oxford, England)
- Library of Congress (Washington, D.C.)
- Library of Parliament (Ottawa, Canada)
- Liyuan Library (Jiaojiehe, China)
- Mansueto Library (University of Chicago, Illinois)
- New York City Public Library (New York, New York)
- Seattle Metaphysical Library (Ballard, Washington)
- VAC Library (Hanoi, Vietnam)
- Vasconcelos Library (Mexico City, Mexico)
- Vatican Library (Vatican City, Rome, Italy)
Museums in NCW and Around the United States
- Digital Public Library of America -see stories of national significance drawn
from source materials in libraries, archives, and museums across the United States.
- Guggenheim Museum, New York -discover incredible works of art from the Impressionist, Post-Impressionist, Modern and Contemporary eras.
- J. Paul Getty Museum, Los Angeles
- Moses Lake Museum and Art Center -see a virtual
tour of the "Hopes of Spring" exhibit, featuring 20+ works all invoking the essence of springtime by artist group The Desert Artists of Moses Lake.
- Smithsonian, Washington D.C.
- Wenatchee Valley Museum and Cultural Center -see a virtual tour of the 41st Annual Regional High School Art Show. This virtual art tour showcases student’s creativity and recognizes winners in 7 categories.
Museums from Around the World
- British Museum, London -see the Great Court, the ancient Rosetta Stone, and Egyptian
São Paulo -Brazil’s first modern museum.
- Musée d’Orsay, Paris -see famous works from French
artists including Monet, Cézanne, and Gauguin.
- Louvre, Paris -visit the museum’s exhibition rooms and galleries. See Egyptian
antiques, remains of the Louvre’s moat, and much more!
- National Museum of Anthropology, Mexico City -discover archaeology and history of Mexico’s pre-Hispanic heritage.
- National Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art, Seoul
- Van Gogh Museum, Amsterdam -the largest collection of
artwork by Vincent van Gogh.
- View over 2,500 museum collections through Google Arts & Culture!
U.S. National Parks
- Bryce Canyon National Park, Utah -explore the desert landscape and unique rock formations.
- Carlsbad Caverns National Park, New Mexico - explore caves and maybe see some bats.
- Dry Tortugas National Park, Florida -explore a Civil War-era fort, a shipwreck, and see the third largest coral reef in the world.
- Hawai’i Volcanoes National Park, Hawaii -explore an active volcano.
- Kenai Fjords National Park, Alaska -explore glaciers, fjords, and icebergs.
Out of this World
- Browse the surface of Mars- The real surface of Mars. Recorded by NASA’s Curiosity
rover. Now in your browser!