Winter Break @ the Library
Your local library has you covered on what to do with the kids during the two-week holiday break from school! Here is an overview of some of great things coming up in our libraries:
Book-It Repertory Theatre
The Seattle theater group will perform the children's book Ada's Violin, which tells the story of Ada Ríos growing up in a slum outside of Asunción, Paraguay. She dreamed of playing the violin, but it was not an option for her poor family until a new music teacher arrives. The free performance will be done in English and Spanish and will feature instruments made from recycled materials.
- Ephrata: Wednesday, Dec. 27, 4:30 p.m.
- Leavenworth: Thursday, Dec. 28, 10 a.m.
- Oroville: Friday, Dec. 29, 11 a.m.
- Quincy: Wednesday, Dec. 27, 1:30 p.m.
- Tonasket: Friday, Dec. 29, 2:30 p.m.
- Wenatchee: Thursday, Dec. 28, 2 p.m.
Most of our libraries have regular story times throughout the week, but many will have special Christmas and holiday-themed ones. Here are a few that stand out:
- Moses Lake: Adults with special needs story time, 10:30 a.m. Wednesday, Dec. 20 and Dec. 27.
- Omak: Read-Aloud program, with snacks and crafts, 3:30 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 20 and Dec. 27.
- Wenatchee: Bilingual Christmas story time, 6 p.m. Monday, Dec. 18; Christmas preschool story time, 10:30 a.m. Tuesday and Wednesday; Christmas pajama story time, 7 p.m. Tuesday; Christmas family story time, 11 a.m. Saturday.
Animals in Winter
Hillary Schwirtlich from the Chelan-Douglas Land Trust will present a winter-themed story and craft time.
- Wenatchee: 4 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 19
Arts & Crafts
- Chelan: Snowman stick puppets, 2 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 20 and Dec. 27.
- Curlew: Knitting group, 1 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 21 and Dec. 28.
- Ephrata: Fiber arts club, 4:30 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 21.
- Moses Lake: Clay craft, 1 p.m. Monday, Dec. 18; adult yard night, 6 p.m., Monday, Dec. 18.; pop-up card craft, 10 a.m. Wednesday, Dec. 20; snowflake/songbird ornaments, 11:30 a.m. Thursday, Dec. 21; drop-in draft, 1 to 3 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 27.
- Quincy: Crafts for kids, 2 p.m. Friday, Dec. 22.
- Waterville: Holiday ornaments, 4 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 21.
- Wenatchee: Advanced fiber arts for teens and adults, 4 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 19; 3-D popup cards, 2 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 21.
If it's technology your kids want, we'll have plenty of that in our libraries. Some of these activities require sign-up in advance, so check with your local library to get your name on the list.
- Cashmere: 3-D printing, 3:30 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 21.
- Chelan: 3D printing, 4 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 19; STEM activities, 2 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 21 and Thursday, Dec. 28; Legos, 1 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 23.
- Curlew: Makerspace Friday, 2 p.m. Friday, Dec. 22 and Dec. 29.
- Ephrata: Mini makerspace, 4:30 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 19.
- Leavenworth: Make Christmas-box castles with Make-Do, 1:30 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 27.
- Omak: Makerspace for adults, senior citizens and others, 10:30 a.m. Wednesday, Dec. 20.
- Quincy: Simple powered Lego machines, 10 a.m. Tuesday, Dec. 19; Minecraft Club, 3:30 p.m. Monday, Dec. 18, and Tuesday, Dec. 19.
- Republic: Maker Monday, 3 p.m. Monday, Dec. 18.
- Royal City: STEM activities, 4 p.m. Monday, Dec. 18.
- Soap Lake: STEM Saturday, 10:30 a.m. Saturday, Dec. 23 and Dec. 30.
- Tonasket: Makerspace and STEM, 12:45 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 20.
- Wenatchee: Circuits and Coding, 4 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 28.
Other fun happenings!
- Leavenworth: Reception for arts Suzi Lane, 6:30 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 28.
- Wenatchee: Family board games, 3 p.m. Friday, Dec. 22; 3:30 p.m.; watch the movie Toy Story, 3:30 p.m. Friday, Dec. 29; Trivia Night, 7 p.m. Friday, Dec. 29.
For a complete calendar of the week’s event in our libraries, check out our online calendar!
Helpful Hint: Find events at the libraries you visit by using the location sort option at the top of the page. Learn more about using our online calendar on our Calendar Tips page.